Viva Training’s Domestic Electrical Installer course offers flexible electrical training for new entrants and experienced installers working in related trades. It provides the practical knowledge and skills to be able to safely install, inspect, test and certify work on single phase electrical installations in domestic dwellings – such as wiring in a boiler or fitting an electric cooker or shower.
Do I need this course?
If you pay an electrician to do basic electrical tasks as part of your work, then becoming a domestic electrical installer will allow you to offer a more cost and time efficient service.
The course is also suitable for those with little or no electrical experience. It is an ideal starting point for new entrants who want to find work as a domestic electrical installer.
What will I learn?
Through a combination of theoretical and practical training, you will study the basic elements of electrical installation and safety, covering domestic electrical tasks such as full and partial rewire, sockets and light fittings.
Training is broken down into manageable chunks and delivered by electrical engineers with real experience in the field. Candidates are fully supported throughout their training and will carry out a full domestic installation within our state-of-the-art practical training area.
This domestic electrical installer course covers the following areas:
- Electrical wiring regulations, standards and associated documents
- Competent Persons Schemes (CPS), why they are needed and how to register
- Safe working and isolation
- Basic electrical theory, including OHMS Law, power laws and resistance
- Building Regulations – Part P and Part M
- Understanding wiring and circuit diagrams
- Electrical components including consumer units and safety devices
- Installation techniques and correct use of tools
- Cable calculations, types, connecting and terminating
- Use of electrical test meters and subsequent calculations
- Testing, fault finding, earthing and bonding
- Electricity containment, trunking and conduits
- Electrical applications – lighting circuits, showers, spurs and cookers
- Initial verification, testing and certification of electrical installations, including three-phase testing
- Health and Safety
What qualifications will I receive?
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations – City & Guild (2382-18, Level 3 QCF) qualification
- Initial Verification, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations – Logic Certification Level 3 QCF qualification
- Domestic Electrical Installer (Part P) – Logic Certification Qualification
Additional optional certificates are –
- Asbestos Awareness – online course certificate
- Manual Handling – online course certificate
- Fire Safety – online course certificate
- Working at Heights – online course certificate
Approximate course length – 22 days
- Electrical Training at VIVA
- Fast Track Electrical Course
- 18th Edition Course
- Supervising Install, Test & Compliance
- Initial Verification & Periodical Inspection Course
- In-Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment (Formerly PAT Testing)